I have a bin bursting with shallots in my kitchen, and I was searching for some recipes to use them up. Here are five shallot recipes that I discovered that are on my must-make list.
- Cheddar Shallot Muffins – A savory muffin perfect as a side to a salad with lunch or as the bread with dinner, these muffins are seasoned with dry mustard, ground black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- French Shallot Soup – Here’s a twist on the traditional French onion soup. Shallots are caramelized before adding the rest of the soup ingredients. Of course it’s topped off with crusty bread and Gruyère cheese.
- Roast Shallot Sauce – Shallots are roasted in the oven. Then they’re used in a sauce with red wine, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar and more. Perfect on roast beef, but I’m also thinking this would be a great way to make the meatloaf that my kids like so much a little more grown up.
- Brussels Sprout Hash with Caramelized Onions – A quick and easy side dish that’s buttery and full of flavor. Could make a Brussels sprout convert out of those who turn their noses up at the little green vegetables.
- Butternut Squash Risotto – Two whole shallots are used in this risotto that’s made with roasted squash. I wonder if this recipe could be adapted to an Oven-Baked Risotto recipe?
What’s your favorite way to add shallots to meals?