I have a bin bursting with shallots in my kitchen, and I was searching for some recipes to use them up. Here are five shallot recipes that I discovered that are on my must-make list.
- Cheddar Shallot Muffins – A savory muffin perfect as a side to a salad with lunch or as the bread with dinner, these muffins are seasoned with dry mustard, ground black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- French Shallot Soup – Here’s a twist on the traditional French onion soup. Shallots are caramelized before adding the rest of the soup ingredients. Of course it’s topped off with crusty bread and Gruyère cheese.
- Roast Shallot Sauce – Shallots are roasted in the oven. Then they’re used in a sauce with red wine, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar and more. Perfect on roast beef, but I’m also thinking this would be a great way to make the meatloaf that my kids like so much a little more grown up.
- Brussels Sprout Hash with Caramelized Onions – A quick and easy side dish that’s buttery and full of flavor. Could make a Brussels sprout convert out of those who turn their noses up at the little green vegetables.
- Butternut Squash Risotto – Two whole shallots are used in this risotto that’s made with roasted squash. I wonder if this recipe could be adapted to an Oven-Baked Risotto recipe?
What’s your favorite way to add shallots to meals?
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.