I eat eggs all year long because I like them, they are easy protein, and they are actually quite nutritious. However, eggs are really a seasonal food. When chickens are left to their natural cycle of egg laying, they take a break for much of the winter, and start with a vengeance in the spring. My somewhat short time of being a chicken farmer showed that in our climate, certain breeds would still lay eggs in the winter, just not as many. All to say, if there is a time to enjoy eggs, it is spring.
While it's still a bit short of official spring — and we even had snow a few days ago — local chickens are already ramping up their egg-laying production. If you want the most nutritious, delicious egg ever, try to find a local source of pastured chickens that are allowed to run over green meadows and eat all of the bugs and grass and greens they desire. Their eggs will not only be more nutritious, but they will also be much more delicious. They have that classic orange yolk instead of the bland, slightly tinted yellow yolk from the typical egg carton.
Here are 10 ways to enjoy the mighty, delicious, egg. Enjoy!
1. Poached Eggs: So simple to make, yet so delicious. You can eat them all on their own, place on buttered toast, on salads, on roasted asparagus, on lentil soups. The possibilities are endless.
2. Sweet Soufflèed Omelets: These are a real treat, especially when topped with raw jam. Simple to make, they simple quite special and sweet without a lot of sweetener.
3. Black Bean and Egg Burrito: I also love breakfast burritos. Here is one version I enjoy.
4. "Chubby Girl's" Egg Scramble: Red onions, red bell pepper and mushrooms make this egg scramble delicious. And the name? You'll have to read the post to learn where "Chubby Girl" came from!
5. Savory Bacon Zucchini Frittata: Bacon plus eggs equals love (or something similar). We all know that bacon and eggs go well together. This dish puts them together.
6. Corned Beef Hash with A Poached Egg: Here's a recipe to keep in mind for leftover corned beef from Saint Patrick's Day!
7. Curried Egg Salad Sandwich: This bright and flavorful recipe is a new take on egg salad sandwiches!
8. Skinny Omelette Recipe: Thin, crepe like "omelettes" wrap around a filling for a lighter take on breakfast or lunch.
9. Poached Egg with Grape Tomato and Basil Salad: A simple pairing makes a gourmet breakfast.
10. Simple Deviled Eggs: (Pictured above) This recipe truly is simple. It doesn't even require the use of mayonnaise!
As always, I would love to hear about your favorite egg recipes.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.