Mom shares nourishing recipes and blogs about sustainable living.
Warm Cardamom and Honey Milk
Warm milk is steeped with cardamom, with honey and vanilla added to sweeten and flavor it.
Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Cardamom, vanilla and honey gently sweeten and flavor a glass of milk. Heated until just warm, it is the perfect soothing cup of milk. The flavor profile is based on a “Persian Love Cake” that I baked years ago for a friend’s bridal party. It had the same spices in it, and I really loved it. Cardamom is sometimes called the “queen of spices” and was held in high esteem in the ancient world. I hold it in high esteem in my modern world because it is so delicious! It was traditionally thought to improve digestion and the sweetness of breath, but beyond that it has an exotic, slightly spicy-yet-sweet flavor that is unique. You can replace the vanilla with a few drops of rose extract for an especially Persian flavor profile.
We have had a busy Valentine’s Day so far today. I wasn’t planning on it being quite so busy and full of extra crafts and such, but I realized that my 6-year-old was really looking forward to today and I wanted to make it special for her (especially after she had the flu all of last week and has been homebound as of late). You can follow our adventures from today on my Facebook page
But for now, I just need to a second to drink some relaxing, nourishing warm milk after a busy morning.
Cardamom and Honey Milk
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 8 green cardamom pods, smashed and the brown seeds removed to use (about 1/2 teaspoon of the brown seeds)
- 3 teaspoons honey (I used local and raw)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (the better quality the better as the flavor really comes through)
- Combine the milk and cardamom seeds in a small pot and heat until just warm. Take off the heat, and stir in the honey. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla (if you want your milk hot, rather than warm, you can reheat at this point) and then pour through a small fine sieve into two cups. Serve right away, for two.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.