Creative mom explores how to live a sustainable life with a focus on food.
Weekend reads: Beat the heat with no-cook meals
Food news and items of interest from around the Web for your weekend reading.
Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 3:00 PM
I’m trying not to complain about the 100-plus degree temperatures outside. So far, I’ve done okay. But, I do recognize that when it’s this hot, it shouldn’t be ignored. It’s important to make sure we don’t get overheated, but it’s also important to make sure we don’t tax the power grids to the point where there is a power outage. I’ve been running around my house today turning off lights and appliances as quickly as my boys and their friends can leave a room.
One way to conserve energy on a day like today is to serve a non-cook meal. You’ll use very little energy in the preparation of your meal, and, as a bonus, you won’t heat up your kitchen. Here are some no-cook meal ideas for a hot, hot day like today.
- Delish! has 12 Lightning-Quick No-Cool Dinners to chose from including some no-bake cookies for dessert.
- This Creamy Avocado & White Bean Wrap from Eating Well looks delicious. Make extra for tomorrow’s lunch.
- Chunky Tomato-Fruit Gazpacho from Cooking Light is certain to cool your body temperature down while not heating up your kitchen.
- Lifetime Moms has an entire No-Cook Dinner Party Menu including beverage and dessert.
- Another entire menu is the No-Cook Mediterranean Menu from AZ Central.
Enjoy your weekend and keep cool!
Image: Matt Callow
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.