Butternut Squash with Spinach Curry
Great for creating curry converts leery of eating exotic fruits and vegetables.
Butternut Squash With Spinach Curry
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 2-pound butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved and quartered
- 4 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and torn
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- Cook basmati rice according to directions. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed cooking pot about 1 minute. Add onion. Saute until tender, 5 or 6 minutes. Add curry paste and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add squash to pot with water. Cover pot and simmer until squash becomes tender, about 12 minutes. Add tomatoes. Cook about 6 minutes. As tomatoes begin to break down, add spinach. Heat about 2 more minutes, or until spinach wilts and turns bright green. Serve with rice.