Fried Bananas and Ice Cream
Pan-fried bananas are a Latin mainstay. Serve over vanilla ice cream for an all-American dessert.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 ripe medium-sized bananas, peeled and sliced
- Half cup fresh-squeezed orange juice, about 3 oranges
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Half orange, zest
- 1 shot Grand Marnier
- 1 pint Philly-style (eggless) vanilla ice cream
- Cinnamon to taste
Zest orange. Using potato peeler, carefully remove outer skin of orange.
Melt butter in large skillet. Add sliced bananas. Stir over low heat until bananas caramelize, about 2 minutes.
Add zest, orange juice and Grand Marnier.
Add sugar. Add cinnamon. Stirring slowly, allow sauce to thicken. Simmer over low heat for about five minutes.
Spoon over vanilla ice cream and serve.