Tomato Bread Soup
A lean soup for hard times made all the more delicious for being so simple.
Tomato Bread SoupServes 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved and quartered
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups stale bread, torn
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 12 large leaves basil, torn
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated, optional garnish
- Several leaves basil, optional garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Heat olive oil in large heavy-bottomed skillet. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onions are tender, 5 or 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and seasoning. Cook until tomatoes begin to break down, 5 or 6 minutes.
Add bread and stir until bread is saturated with liquid. Pour broth into mixture. Stir about 2 minutes. Add torn basil. Simmer about 10 minutes. Garnish and serve.