A simple low-sugar breakfast spread without undue additives.
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: Makes about 1 quart
- 1 sugar pumpkin
- 3/4 cup organic apple juice
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice
- 3 whole cloves, ground
- 3 whole allspice, ground
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a sharp chef's knife, cut pumpkin in half. Scrape away seeds and pulp with rounded edge of spoon. Place halves on baking sheet on center rack of oven. Cook 40 minutes, or until tender. Allow pumpkin to cool, peeling off outer skin.
- To puree, cube roasted pumpkin into 1-inch sections. Process pumpkin in blender until smooth, adding water if needed. For best results blend in batches, about 5 minutes.
- Combine puree, apple juice, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, cloves, allspice and salt in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Bring to slow boil, reduce heat and simmer. Stir slowly 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat as sauce begins to thicken and brown.