The essence of tostadas is stacking savory toppings on a crunchy taco base. Baking taco shells in the oven requires fraction of the oil required to pan fry.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 tostadas
- 1 lb. cooked deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup Anaheim pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 tbs. canola oil, or light olive oil
- Juice of two limes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne, or to taste
- 1/2 cup, cilantro, stemmed and loosely chopped, plus extra
- 1 avocado, pit removed, halved and sliced
- 12 soft corn tacos
- Canola spray
- 1/2 cup reduced calorie mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup reduced calorie sour cream
- 2 or 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Combine cooked shrimp, onion, garlic and pepper in mixing bowl. Add oil and lime juice. Stir until ingredients are evenly coated, about 30 seconds. Add seasoning salt and cayenne to taste. Add cilantro and avocado lightly toss. Place in fridge to allow flavors to fuse, about 15 minutes.
Lightly coat two baking sheets with canola oil. Place tacos on baking sheets sheet, lightly spray with canola oil. Place sheets in heated oven, bake for about 10 minutes. Flip tacos once and rotate sheets to ensure even cooking. Remove from oven when crisp and place on paper towels to remove excess oil. Allow tacos to cool, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile combine mayonnaise, sour cream and chipotles in mixing bowl. Stir until blended, about 30 seconds.
Plate ingredients. To make shrimp tostadas, add a teaspoon of chipotle sauce to taco shell. Add a heaping tablespoon of shrimp salad. Garnish with cilantro.