Brandied Fruit Cups
Everything you might like about fruitcake without the actual cake.
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 desserts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried pineapples, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons white sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 ounces 40 proof brandy
- Handful chopped cranberries, optional garnish
- 6 gingersnap cookies
- Combine cranberries, pineapples, apricots in a mixing bowl. Stir. Add water, juice, extract and 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir about 1 minute and let stand 15 minutes, or until cranberries are plump and pineapple is tender.
- Pour contents into heavy-bottomed skillet. Bring to low boil over medium heat and simmer, until liquids are reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Combine whipping cream and remaining sugar in food processor. Process cream until soft peaks form, about 30 seconds.
- Pour brandy into pan. Ignite brandy with long match. Cook until flames recede. Assemble dessert in small custard cups. Garnish with cranberries and nestle cookies in cream. Serve immediately.