Ginger Pumpkin Pie
Add an element of surprise to traditional pumpkin pie with the addition of ginger spice. This recipe requires less sugar than most and is just as tasty.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes, plus cooling
Yield: 8-10 slices
- 1 ready-made pie crust
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 shot pumpkin liquor, optional
- 1 tablespoon candied ginger, chopped fine, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thaw ready-made pie crust according to package directions. Lightly coat pie tin with butter. Line with crust, crimping off the excess. Poke base with fork. Place on center rack of oven and heat for 10 minutes.
- In medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk pumpkin puree, eggs and brown sugar, about 1 minute. Whisk in ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper, about 1 minute.
- Add half and half (and pumpkin liquor if desired) to mixing bowl, whisk until smooth. Pour pumpkin pie filling into preheated crust. Place pie on center rack of oven. Bake about 50 minutes or just until set in the center. Filling will continue to firm up after being removed from oven.
- Allow pie to cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Refrigerate two hours before serving. It's even better the next day.