Because your bubbie loves you, lessen the load by incorporating low-cal ingredients. Flax seed is packed with omega-3s and can be substituted for egg whites.
Total time: 1 hour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 8 ounces whole milk or 2% milk
- 2 ounces water
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces soft tofu, cubed
- 4 ounces mascarpone
- 2 ounces granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 2 ounces maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- To make crepes: Combine eggs, flax, milk, water, flour and salt in food processor or blender; process until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour batter into mixing bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make filling: Rinse processor. Combine tofu, mascarpone, sugar, extract and lemon zest in food processor; process until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- To make compote: Combine cranberries, water, orange zest and juice in saucepan. Bring to low boil. Simmer until water is reduced, about 10 minutes. Add maple syrup and brandy. Set aside.
- Add dab of oil to skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. When hot, pour batter onto skillet, using approximately 4 tablespoons at a time for each crepe. Tilt skillet in circular motion so batter is distributed evenly. Cook crepe about 1 minute, until bottom is light brown. Loosen with spatula, flip and cook other side, about 1 minute. Continue until batter is done.
- Preheat??? oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place crepes on lined sheet, add dollop of filling to each crepe. Roll and fold sides of each crepe over filling, covering completely. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until cheese is hot. Remove from oven. Plate and serve with cranberry compote.