White Beans With Sage
- 2 15.5-ounce cans cannellini white beans, drained
- 1 28.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Half lemon, juice
- 2 sweet Italian sausages, cooked (Carnivores can add before serving.)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes, plus 16 hours to cool
Heat olive oil in large heavy-bottomed cooking pot. Sautee carrots, onions and celery until onions turn soft, two to three minutes. Add sage and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
Add tomatoes and heat through allowing the surface to bubble, about 10 minutes.
Add beans, lemon juice and pine nuts. For best results refrigerate overnight.