Garlic Roasted Chicken with Lemon
Mad about garlic? Try roasting whole heads with chicken to arouse the taste buds.
Garlic Roasted Chicken With Lemon
- 4 heads garlic, tops removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 4- to 5-pound whole chicken
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Roll cooking twine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 ounces dry white wine (optional)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Remove tops from garlic heads. Drizzle with olive oil and pinch of salt.
- Remove giblets, rinse and pat dry chicken. Stuff body cavity with one garlic head cut in two. Add half lemon.
- Rub chicken legs, thighs and breast with lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Coat body with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Rub salt and black pepper on breasts, legs and thighs. Bind legs with twine.
- Place chicken in large baking dish and cover breast with aluminum foil.
- Line dish with remaining garlic heads. Add broth and wine. Place on center rack of oven for 60 minutes.
- Set oven to 450 degrees. Remove foil. Cook on high 30 to 40 minutes. Watch carefully and baste periodically, until skin turns golden dark brown and juices run clear. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving. Save pan juices for gravy and soup stock.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6