Think of curry as vegetarian gravy; heat and time bring out the best in ingredients that can be incorporated with tofu, chicken and vegetable dishes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch ground cardamom
- Pinch paprika (optional)
- Pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1-inch section fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Dollop plain yogurt (optional)
- Combine spices in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in large skillet. Add onions, garlic and ginger.
- Sautee until onions begin to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat.
- Transfer ingredients to food processor or blender. Process until a smooth paste forms, about 30 seconds.
- Add remaining oil and butter to skillet. Add onion, garlic and ginger paste. Cook 5 to 6 minutes more over medium high heat. Combine with spices and stir until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and water. Stir. Bring sauce to a low boil and reduce heat. Simmer about 30 minutes, until sauce thickens. When done curry will be rich reddish brown with flecks of oil on the surface. If it is too intense, add yogurt.