Hungarian Mushroom Soup
If you like mushrooms and love soup, then try a bowlful of bliss.
Hungarian Mushroom SoupServes 2
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup almond milk or dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cooking sherry
- Handful parsley, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Black pepper to taste
- Handful pepitas (pumpkin seeds), optional garnish
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Sauté onions in heavy-bottomed cooking pot with 2 tablespoons of broth. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1 teaspoon dill, paprika, 1/2 cup broth, and soy. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan. Add milk. Slowly add flour. Stir frequently over low heat until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
Stir sauce into mushrooms. Add remaining broth and sherry. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes. Add parsley, lemon juice, remaining dill, sour cream and pepper. Stir contents, add pepitas if desired and serve.