A slow simmer over low heat brings out the natural sweetness of tropical fruit.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 medium-sized mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and chopped
- 2 ounces dried apricots, sliced
- 1/2 ounce raw ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 ounces golden currants
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, plus 30 minutes to cool
Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add onions, red pepper and curry powder. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally until onions are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prep mangos, pineapple, apricots and ginger.
Remove lid. Place all remaining ingredients in skillet. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool. Best served with curry, roast pork and chicken. Store in tightly sealed container in fridge for up to two weeks.
Makes about 1 quart.