Fried calamari is seafood for non-fish eaters.
- 1 pound calamari tubes, chopped into 1/3 to 1/2 inch sections
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika powder
- Half teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 4 ounces vegetable cooking oil
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- In a large baggie, combine the flour and seasoning ingredients and shake until blended.
- Place calamari on paper towels. Press firmly to remove excess liquid.
- Toss calamari into the bag. Shake well until the pieces are evenly coated with flour mix.
- Pour cooking oil into large skillet. Over medium-high heat, flash cook calamari in two separate batches, two minutes max for each batch.
- Place calamari on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Plate with a wedge of lemon and favorite condiments. Serve hot.
Serves 4 as an appetizer.
Note: Using precut squid eliminates the need for messy prep work.