Tofu Spinach Quiche
This convincing rendition of quiche reduces the amount of cheese and eggs usually used.
Tofu Spinach Quiche
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bundle fresh spinach, stemmed, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 ready-made pie crust, uncooked
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cut tofu into small cubes and chop in a food processor.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, about 1 minute. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion becomes tender, about 5 minutes. Add spinach. Add remaining olive oil. Stir and cook until spinach wilts and turns bright green, about 3 minutes. Add dill and parsley. Cook about 1 more minute or until fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool, about 3 minutes. Cover and drain any excess liquid.
- Add eggs, feta and Parmesan cheese to food processor with tofu. Process until ingredients are well blended, about 30 seconds. Pour ingredients into skillet and stir. Add pine nuts and nutmeg. Stir.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat shallow 9-inch baking dish with oil. Line dish with pie dough, trimming off excess. Prick holes in dough. When oven reaches desired temperature, place baking dish on middle rack and heat 10 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven. Spoon quiche mix into baking dish. Return to oven 30 minutes. Quiche is done when toothpick pushed into center comes away cleanly.
- Set oven to broil. Sprinkle any excess feta and Parmesan over the top of quiche. Cook 2 or 3 minutes more until cheese begins to bubble and brown. Remove from heat and cool before serving.
Yield: 8 servings