Chermoula sauce is a mild herb and spice mix of North African origin, frequently used to marinate meat and fish dishes prior to roasting or grilling.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 3+ hours allowing time for chicken to marinate
Yield: Feeds 4
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 knobs fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Juice half lemon
- 1 tbs. lemon zest
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 lbs. bone in, skin on chicken thighs, about 8 pieces
- Combine onion, garlic, turmeric, cilantro, and parsley in food processor. Pulse until a coarse paste forms, about 1 minute. Peel turmeric by using the rounded edge of a spoon to remove outer skin.
- Toss ingredients into a mixing bowl. Combine with cumin, coriander, and paprika in a small bowl. Then add, oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well, until all the ingredients are blended. To make zest, scrape the outer skin of a lemon with a small-gauge grater.
- Prep chicken. Makes several deep incisions in each thigh. Rub both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Rub paste into chicken and marinate for up to 3 hours.
- Set oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove excess marinade. Place chicken on foil lined baking sheet and cook until golden brown about 40 to 50 minutes. Flipping sheet one or twice to ensure chicken cooks evenly.