Baking draws out the sweetness of late summer vegetables, pairing deliciously with a sauvignon blanc.
Summer CasseroleServes 4 to 6
- 1 pound zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound small Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce Romano cheese, grated
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Rinse and prep vegetables. Chop into bite-sized shapes of roughly equivalent size. Combine vegetables in large mixing bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil along with dried herbs. Toss and let stand for a few minutes.
Lightly coat bottom of large baking pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Layer pan with vegetables. Top with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and cook in oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
Remove from oven and carefully remove aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil. Return to oven for 10 more minutes or until cheese starts to brown. Remove and let stand for several minutes. Serve hot.