Mulled wine is popular in many countries around the world, from Chile to Czech Republic. Because of its universality, this hot toddy has many varieties, from slow-cooked to quick and easy. This particular recipe from Food.com is one of the simpler versions.
Prep time: 5 minutes, Cook time: 5 minutes
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup water
• 10 whole cloves
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3 peppercorns, whole
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
• 1 orange, juiced
• 1 bottle red wine
• Cinnamon sticks (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients except wine in a pan and boil for five minutes.
2. Reduce heat, add wine. Heat to the point where it is just before boiling. (Try to avoid boiling; the alcohol will begin to evaporate.)
3. Strain into cups and serve hot.
4. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, if desired. Serves four.