Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: About 15 2-inch squares
6-Ingredient No-Bake Almond Date Squares (vegan)
- 1 cups organic whole raw almonds
- 0.5 cups organic whole raw pecans
- 1.5 cups organic rolled oats
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and coarsly chopped
- 25 Medjool dates, pitted, coarsly chopped and soaked in 0.5 cups water
- 0.25 cups organic coconut oil
- Line a square 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add the almonds, pecans, salt and oats, and pulse until you have a fine crumble.
- Add in the 10 coarsly chopped dates and process until crumbly again.
- Over very low heat, warm the coconut oil in a sauce pan until just melted and add to the mixture. Pulse until the mixture sticks together.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and set aside about 1 cup for later. Press the remainder of the mixture evenly in the pan, pushing down very hard to form a solid base for the date filling.
- Add the chopped dates that have been soaking in water to the food processor, including any excess water, and pulse until a thick paste forms. Scrape the paste from the sides of the food processor and continue to pulse until the paste is smooth.
- Spread the date filling onto the crust, using a wet spatula to evenly distribute it.
- Sprinkle the reserved 1 cup of nut mixture evenly over the date filling and gently press down with fingers to make sure all the mixture sticks to the top of the date filling.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm. Remove from fridge and lift the whole date square out of the pan using the sides of the parchment paper. Cut into 10-15 squares. Plate and serve them while still chilled -- the squares will become crumbly again as the coconut oil warms. You can also store these wrapped in the freezer for 1-2 weeks. (But good luck getting these delicious goodies to last that long!)
Related posts on MNN: