Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 70 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 onions, sliced into half moons
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 3 cans white beans, drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 5 ounces grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the onions cook, stirring occasionally, until they are a deep golden color. It will take 25-30 minutes. Add more oil if you need it.
- When the onions are golden brown, add the thyme leaves and stir.
- In a medium oven-proof dish, layer about a third of the onions, then half of the beans, then a little cheese. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, and ending with a topping of cheese. Pour the vegetable stock over the entire dish.
- Place the dish in the oven on the center rack and bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Related on MNN:
- 12 recipes for beans, the super-est of superfoods
- Mini Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Feta Cheese
- How to grow onions