Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 4 hours
Yield: 1 pizza dough
Chewy Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (for proofing)
- Sift both flours into a large mixing bowl and add the salt.
- Warm the water to 120 degrees F.
- Now let's proof the yeast. You don't have to do this, but there is nothing more frustrating than making fresh dough of any sort and having it not rise. And proofing only takes about five minutes. Add the sugar and warm water to a clear measuring cup and mix it until the sugar dissolves. Then add in the yeast without stirring it. If the yeast is active, you will see bubbles or a thick foamy top like that of beer stout at the end of five minutes. This means this yeast is good to go!
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour. You always add wet ingredients to dry to prevent lumps and the flour from getting overworked.
- Once the flour, water and yeast are all combined, transfer the dough onto a floured surface to knead it. Knead it for about a minute or two, for at least 20 turns.
- Then cover the dough to let it rise. I just place the very same mixing bowl I used previously over it, letting it rise at room temperature for at least 4 hours.
More pizza recipes and tools on MNN: