Growing up, I always loved when my dad made cucumber salad; I loved that crisp and tangy flavor. Whereas my dad always used sour cream and lemon, this recipe calls for thick Greek yogurt and lime. It's a wonderful version that I like just as much as the recipe I grew up eating.
All said, this salad takes less than 15 minutes to put together. It is perfect as a quick, healthy side and can be thrown together to pair with a dinner or lunch — or even alone as lunch-on-the-go. You'll want to make it just before you sit down to eat, as the cucumbers and yogurt will get a little runny if left to sit for hours.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, using just the white and light green parts
- 3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 4 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts for garnish
- Trim the ends off the cucumbers and peel them. Slice them lengthwise then use a spoon to scoop the seeds out. Slice them into thin half-moons, and combine them with the sliced scallions into a mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mint, lime zest, lime juice, honey, coriander and salt. Whisk until thoroughly mixed. Pour over the cucumber mix and stir to combine.
- Spoon into bowls, and garnish with mint leaves and pine nuts. Enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: