This lovely salad of greens, roasted golden beets and toasted walnuts with a light dressing is super simple, yet elegant and healthy. It's perfect for any season. Adapted from "The Sprouted Kitchen" by Sara Forte.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Yield: 4 salads
Golden Beet Salad with Toasted Walnuts
- 2 large golden beets, or 4 small golden beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups arugula, baby spinach, or other greens
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- Zest from one lime
- Vegan feta cheese or crumbled goat cheese (for a non-vegan topping option)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Rinse the beets and coat them with the olive oil. Wrap them in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake about one hour, or until tender all the way through (test by poking one with a fork).
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a simmer and let it simmer until it is reduced by one third. Let cool.
- When the beets have cooled off, peel them and slice them into rings. Toss them with the reduced vinegar.
- Place a handful of greens on the center of the plate, sprinkle with a little bit of olive oil, and top with the golden beet slices. Sprinkle a little of the lime zest, a handful of the toasted walnuts and, if desired, a bit of crumbled vegan feta or, for a non-vegan version, some crumbled goat cheese. Grind a little pepper over the top, serve, and enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: