I absolutely love figs, especially mission figs. Funny thing, growing up, they would totally freak me out. I loved Fig Newtons but fresh figs, cut open, looked otherworldly to me.
My eyes would play tricks on me, and I would swear that the pinkish seeds inside were actually moving. Maybe I had seen the movie Aliens too many times. I feared what was in store for me if I ate one.
Luckily, I got over it. These things are amazing! And now I am making up for lost time by devouring them every chance I get.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
Total time: 7 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Grilled Fig Caprese Salad
- 3 black mission figs
- 8 fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- The first thing you want to do is make sure you bought more figs than just for this recipe. Black mission figs are as tasty as they are beautiful and I just want to motorboat a handful of these babies even before I get to making anything with them. Are you with me? Thought so. After that, cut them up lengthwise.
- Lightly brush the cut side of each fig with some olive oil. This is just to prevent them from sticking. Well, at least aid in that prevention. They are going to stick. Figs are moist (hate that word!) and soft, so they tend to stick to the grill a bit. You only need to grill them for about a minute and a half. You will notice when they are grilling they start to loose a bit of their plumpness and dry out. That is when they are perfect!
- I love fresh mozzarella, especially this kind, because I get to say mozzarella balls, and every time I say balls I giggle like a 14-year-old girl. Balls, hehe. Well, go ahead and remove 8 of them from the fresh water they are packed in and let them drain.
- Using two small plates, place 3 grilled figs, 4 mozzarella balls (ha!) and 4 fresh basil leaves on each plate, alternating them.
- Drizzle them with honey and balsamic vinegar and serve.
Get more recipes on MNN: