I'm always looking for great salad recipes that can be made up on a Sunday and enjoyed as lunches throughout the week. The three requirements for me are that it has to be easy to make, healthy, and improve in flavor as the days go by. This salad fills all those requirements.
From start to finish, this salad doesn't take more than about 25 minutes to make. You can put it in individual containers for grab-n-go lunches that will last all week, and best of all, you're doing your body a favor by eating this, thanks to the protein in the chickpeas and the healthy fats in the olive oil. This recipe is adapted from Womansday.com.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 salads
Healthy Chickpea Salad with Roasted Cumin and Lime
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 cup diced fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (omit for a vegan version of this salad)
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin and cook, stirring until toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute; transfer to a bowl.
- Add the lime juice, salt, pepper and cumin. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until everything is well combined.
- In a large bowl, pour the dressing over the chopped onions. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Add in the celery, tomato and chickpeas and toss to combine.
- Add in the feta, toss once or twice to combine, then serve and enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: