Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: About 4 cups
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1.5 cups nuts and seeds of your choice (almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, flaxseeds, etc)
- 0.5 cups freshly squeezed apple juice
- 0.5 cups maple syrup (or honey for a non-vegan version)
- 0.25 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats with the nuts and seeds.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the apple juice, honey, oil, vanilla, and spices. Over a very low heat, warm the mixture just until the honey has softened and everything is well combined. Remove from heat, and pour the mixture over the oats and nuts. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread the mixture in a single thin layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure there is plenty of space on the sheet to spread out the granola. If there is too much piled onto the baking sheet, the granola won't be able to get crunchy. You may need to bake the mix in two batches depending on the size of your baking sheet and oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes total, stirring every 12-14 minutes to make sure the granola browns evenly. When the granola is an even golden brown, remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Related recipes on MNN: