I love tofu, and love a good curry. This recipe highlights those two things without much distraction from noodles or a vegetable medley as is usually the case. This is a great, simple dish to toss together for a quick but filling lunch or dinner.
I prefer cubed tofu, but if you want this dish to more closely mimic scrambled eggs, you can crumble the tofu instead. This is a very flexible recipe so you can prepare the tofu pretty much however you want it. It is also flexible in how spicy you want it. Just watch out because a few red pepper flakes go a long way with tofu, which absorbs whatever spices it is flavored with.
This recipe is inspired by Stonesoup.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2-4 servings
Hot and Spicy Curried Tofu Scramble
- 12 oz firm tofu, cubed
- 1 small onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 bag washed baby spinach leaves
- 1 squeeze lemon juice (about 2 tsp)
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it is just translucent.
- Add the spices and stir to coat the onions. Cook together for about 30 seconds until the mixture is fragrant, then add the cubed tofu. Gently stir everything together until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Cover the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is hot all the way through.
- Add spinach and stir until the greens just barely begin to wilt, then add your lemon juice and stir as the spinach finishes wilting, about 10-15 seconds. Be careful not to overcook the spinach.
- Plate and serve the dish immediately, and enjoy a hot and spicy breakfast!
Related posts on MNN: