Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 3 hours 45 minutes, including brining
Yields: 10 cucumbers worth of pickles
Equipment you'll need
- Chef's knife
- Medium- sized mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- 6-cup sealable glass jar with lid, scrubbed
- Small saucepan
Photos: Enrique Gili
- 10 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1 green pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- Half yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 cups white cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Rinse and prep vegetables. Cut cucumbers into 1/4 inch sections and cut peppers, onion and garlic to size. Place in a mixing bowl with salt and fold. Cover with a plate and set aside for 3 hours.
- Drain mixing bowl of briny water and place cut vegetable in glass jar to about the shoulder.
- Meanwhile, make the pickling solution. Bring vinegar to a low boil over medium heat along with pickling spices. Slowly stir in sugar until completely dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly pour solution into glass jar until vegetables are covered in liquid. Seal jar and allow pickles to cool prior to placing in fridge, about 45 minutes. Pickles are ready to eat when chilled overnight giving time for flavors to fuse.
Related on MNN: