Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 5 hours
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 3/4 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted and cooled
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup matzo meal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with rack in middle.
- Pulse almonds, sugar, matzo cake meal, and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl and stir in butter until combined well. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up the side of springform pan. Bake until crust is firm and a shade darker, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool crust completely in pan on a rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Beat together cream cheese and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add eggs 1 at a time, mixing until incorporated. Mix in zest and vanilla and lemon juice.
- Put springform pan in a shallow baking pan and pour filling into cooled crust. Bake until filling is set 1 1/2 inches from edge but center is wobbly, 45 to 50 minutes (filling will continue to set as it cools). Transfer cake in pan to a rack and immediately run a knife around edge, then remove side of pan. Cool completely, 2 to 3 hours.