Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cloves
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 sweet potato, halved and sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, cut into batons
- 1 celeriac root, cut into batons
- 1 small bunch of spinach
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the cinnamon, cloves, coriander seeds and tumeric. Add in the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the ginger, serrano pepper and garlic and stir to combine. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, sweet potato, fennel bulbs, and celeriac root. Cover the pan and simmer on low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Fold in the spinach, cilantro and almonds into the vegetable tagine, and continue to stir until the spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
Related on MNN: