This recipe was adapted from Egglesscooking.com.
Total time: 45 minutes
Yields: 10-12 muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour (or 2 cups Multi-Blend Flour from Authentic Foods for a gluten-free version)
- 3/4 cup gently packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil (for a healthier version, substitute this with 1/3 cup apple sauce)
- 2/3 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed until smooth (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup water
- zest from two large oranges
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a muffin tin or line them with nonbleached muffin papers.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, brown sugar, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil (or applesauce), orange juice, water, banana, and orange zest. Stir until combined.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Gently fold in the cranberries and pecans, but avoid over-mixing.
- Spoon batter into the muffin tins and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the tins, then remove them and finish cooling on a wire rack.