Photos: Jerry James Stone
So, I have made a pact with myself to eat more vegan. Not for any particular reason other than that vegetarian food tends to be very high in dairy; meat is just often replaced by cheese. And while I have no desire to give up cheese (um, can you say smoked Gouda!), I could stand to eat a little less of it.
Since French toast is one of my favorite breakfast options, I figured I should start there. With this banana and coconut French toast you won't even know the eggs are missing. It is that good! Enjoy it with some warm fruit or maple syrup (or both) and of course, a mimosa.
Prep time: 2 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Banana and Coconut French Toast (Vegan)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 loaf bread
- Drizzle coconut oil
- Place all ingredients, well except for the bread, into a food processor or blender. Blend well.
- Pour the batter into shallow bowl and let chill in the refrigerator.
- Cut the bread into thick slices.
- Heat a pan or griddle over a medium-high heat and brush it with the coconut oil. If you don't have coconut oil you can use any basic cooking oil. Please don't use olive oil as it will give the toast a funky taste.
- Individually dip each bread slice into the batter so that the bread is fully coated.
- Place the bread slices onto the griddle and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Add your favorite toppings and serve. Enjoy!
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2011.