Recipe: Curry and Maple Sweet Potato Soup (Vegan)
Stay warm with this soup, which is sweet, spicy and quick to make.
Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 01:00 PM
Photo: Jerry James Stone
I love sweet potatoes. For one, they cook a lot faster than regular potatoes (I'm impatient!) and they have so much more natural flavor that you rarely have to modify them. However, the root works especially well with certain flavors, such as curry and maple. Stay warm with this fall soup. It is sweet and spicy and quick to make. May I suggest you enjoy it with a Viognier that is off-dry and has a mineral finish? It keep your palate clean so that you can fully experience the flavors of this soup. Yum!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Curry and Maple Sweet Potato Soup (Vegan)
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 small sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups light, salt-free vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mild curry
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Dash salt, to taste
- Dash cilantro, nutmeg and clove for garnish
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes.
- Chop the onion and add it along with the garlic and some olive oil to a large soup pot. Cook the onion and garlic over a medium-high heat until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes until they just begin to soften. Then add 4 cups of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once the sweet potatoes are fully cooked and just about to fall apart, remove from the heat.
- Doing 1 cup at a time, puree the sweet potato and broth mixture in a food processor.
- Transfer the pureed mixture back to the soup pot and add the curry and maple syrup. Also add the remaining vegetable broth. You want just enough to make it soupy, you might not use it all.
- Bring the soup to a low simmer to have the flavors meld.
- Let cool to an edible temperature and then salt to taste.
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2011.