What better way to kick off Christmas than with these festive, Santa-approved pancakes. Just like regular eggnog, these pancakes are rich, big on flavor, and almost bread-pudding-like in texture. Enjoy them with friends and family, Santa and a nicely chilled mimosa.
Prep time: 1 minute
Total time: 15 minutes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (I used 6 because I like them puffy)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 shot bourbon (more depending on your relatives)
- Add the three egg yolks and a whole egg to a small mixing bowl and beat them until they whiten and become somewhat stiff.
- Add the half and half, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry, mixing well.
- Heat the skillet until a drop of water dances on the surface, then coat with butter or a non-stick cooking spray.
- Ladle some batter onto the pan and flip with spatula when bubbles start to form and they get dry around the edge.
- Add the maple syrup and the bourbon to a small sauce pot and warm the mixture over a low heat.
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2011.