Jalapeno poppers get a serious upgrade both in looks and flavor with this holiday twist on the ubiquitous bar food. A trio of cheeses, shallots, and cumin make this appetizer perfect for wine, but this is no snooty snack. Look for chiles with cracks in their skin if you'd like more kick in your popper, smooth skin if not. Enjoy these with an acidic white like Albarino — it can stand up to both the spiciness of the Jalapeno and the tang of the goat cheese.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Holiday Jalapeno Poppers
- 12 red and green jalapenos
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 2 ounces semi-hard sharp goat's or sheep's milk cheese, finely shredded
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Halve the jalapenos and scoop out all of the seeds and membrane.
- Lay the chilies out on the baking sheet.
- Mix the cream cheese, goat cheeses, egg, shallots and spices together using a small food processor.
- Scoop the cheese mixture into a pastry bag and fill the jalapenos with cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese becomes puffy and golden.
- Serve while hot.
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2011.