Photos: Jerry James Stone
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 medium-sized red beets
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 meyer lemon
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash and trim the red beets and then wrap them in tin foil. Place them in baking dish with 1/8 inch of water and roast them for about an hour at 375 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, add two tablespoons of sesame seeds and just enough olive oil to coat. You don't want to dominate the sesame seed flavor with olive oil.
- Cook them over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or as needed. When the sesame seeds look like the photo above, remove them from the stove.
- When the red beets are fully cooked (you can tell by poking them with a knife), remove them from the oven and let cool. Once cooled, peel them and cube them.
- Add the following ingredients to your food processor: the cup of chickpeas, the two tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds, the roasted beets and a pinch of salt.
- Add 1/2 of the lemon juice to the mixture and puree it. Add more lemon as needed.
- Salt to taste and serve. Enjoy!
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2011.