My favorite salads are those that have a variety of flavor and texture, so that every bite is different from the one before. This salad has all that. From the variety of lettuce to the simple and savory dressing that is poured over the mix of roasted beets, apples, feta and nuts, this salad is an amazing meal for lunch or dinner.
You can make the dressing and roast the beets ahead of time to be able to quickly toss this salad together for a quick meal during the week. If you're really in a pinch for time, you can skip roasting your own beets and use canned beets instead.This recipe is adapted from For the Love of Salad by Jeanelle Mitchell.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 salads
Roasted Beet Salad with Green Apple, Feta and Pistachios
- 4 medium beets, roasted (can use canned beets)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
- 4 Belgian endives, halved lengthwise and cut into strips
- 1 large green apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts
- Pinch sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Slice the roasted or canned beets. Place them in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard, shallots, vinegar and lemon juice. Whisk in the olive oil a little at a time until everything is well blended. Add in salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, endive leaves and apple. Add in about half the vinaigrette and toss. Add remaining vinaigrette to bowl of beets and toss.
- For plating, create a bed of the lettuce and apple mixture. Top with the beets, feta and nuts. Serve and enjoy!
Related on MNN: