A simple, yet flavorful salad is welcome any day of the week, especially when it features two of my favorite salad ingredients: roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts. If you use jarred versions, this salad takes no more than 10 minutes to create from start to finish. You can also customize it further by adding sliced sundried tomatoes, olives or other classic Mediterranean ingredients. You can't get much more heart-healthy or satisfying than this delicious meal. This recipe is adapted from "Williams-Sonoma Rustic Italian" by Domenica Marchetti.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
Rustic Tricolor Salad of Butter Leaf, Roasted Red Peppers and Artichoke Hearts
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1-2 roasted red peppers, sliced length-wise
- 1 cup jarred or canned artichoke heart quarters
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1.5 oz crumbled feta cheese (omit for a vegan version of this salad)
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- A pinch fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers. Toss to combine, then add in the almonds and cheese.
- Drizzle a little of the olive oil to lightly coat the greens, then sprinkle on the lemon juice and toss once or twice.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: