This classic soup is a comforting way to stay warm on a chilly day. The soup features the bright color and flavor of spinach, and potatoes give it a thicker consistency. A splash of cream or half and half adds a mildly buttery flavor to bring it all together.
If fresh spinach isn't available, frozen spinach will work just fine. I used half and half instead of cream to keep it a little lighter. And, for a vegan version of this soup, simply omit the cream altogether. The entire soup takes only about 20-25 minutes to make.
This recipe is inspired by one made by Kelly Rossiter.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
Savory Cream of Spinach Soup
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1-2 boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 pound spinach, carefully cleaned
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cream or half and half
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable stock until just boiling. Add potatoes and cook until they're completely tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and allow the soup to simmer until the spinach is wilted.
- Ladle the soup in batches into a blender, or use an immersion blender, and puree the soup until it is smooth.
- Add lemon juice and cream, and sprinkle in as much salt and pepper as you'd like.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls, serve, and enjoy!
Related on MNN:
- How to make soup from leftovers
- 5 easy-to-make soups: What's for dinner?
- Farmers Market Spinach Pie with Portobello Mushrooms