This is a traditional Bulgarian salad originated by the Shopi people of the Sofia region.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, unpeeled and chopped
- 4 green or red peppers, roasted or raw, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped, or six green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Bulgarian sirene cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- Place tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onion and parsley in a large bowl and toss.
- Put oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake well until blended.
- Toss dressing with vegetables and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Top with crumbled cheese and serve on chilled plates.