This dish is super simple, super fast to make, and super delicious. What's not to love? The crunchy cabbage serves as a great platform for the sweet and tart flavors of cranberry and balsamic. It is a perfect dish to highlight the health benefits of cranberries and cabbage, while enjoying the tangy sweet flavor of the dressing. This recipe is adapted from Bon Appetit, March 2011.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Shredded Cabbage Salad with Cranberries and Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups thinly sliced green or red cabbage (from about 1/2 medium head)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm up the vinegar, but do not bring it to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine the cranberries and vinegar. Let the cranberries soak until they soften, 15 to 20 minutes, then drain the excess vinegar.
- Place the thinly sliced cabbage in large bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, warm up the olive oil and add the shallot. Sauté for about one minute or until the shallot softens. Remove from heat and add in the cranberries. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- In a small saute pan, toast the almonds over low heat.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the cabbage and toss to coat. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, then toss again. Add almonds and parsley. Serve and enjoy!
Related recipes on MNN: