Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 29 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 pound oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- 3 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 5 allspice berries, crushed
- 5 black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 cloves, crushed
- Wash and dry the oranges.
- Quarter the oranges lengthwise; cut crosswise about ¼-inch thick.
- Add the orange slices and 1 cup of sugar to a quart-sized mason jar, alternating between the citrus fruit and the sugar. Seal the jar and shake it around until all of the fruit is covered in sugar. Let stand for 5 hours.
- Add 1 cup of champagne vinegar to the mixture. Seal and shake, trying to dissolve as much of the remaining sugar as possible. Add the remaining ingredients and let stand for 24 hours in a dark cool place.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve and store in a clean mason jar.
- Shrubs can be served in a variety ways. You can drink them straight or even use them in cocktails, like I did in my new cookbook, Holidazed. I served this shrub with some club soda. Using a collins glass filled with ice cubes, add 2 1/2 ounces of shrub syrup and top off with club soda. Garnish with an orange slice.
Find more recipes on MNN: