I love a simple vegetable stir-fry for a weekday dinner. They're so easy to make, and usually quick to put together, but they feel like a rich, complete meal. Simple, satisfying and healthy is the best kind of dinner, and this recipe featuring cauliflower fits the bill. This is one of those dishes where each individual flavor is distinct but also enhanced by the other ingredients; nothing is overwhelmed. You can also use canned tomatoes in the winter, and the dish will turn out every bit as delicious as when it's made with fresh summer tomatoes.
This recipe is inspired by The New York Times, September 2010.Spicy Cauliflower Stir-Fry with Peppers and Heirloom Tomatoes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 large whole cauliflower, cut into 2-inch florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small pinch chili powder
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 small orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 very large heirloom tomato, cut into 1-inch dice (or 1 can diced tomatoes with juice)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the cumin seeds and stir them rapidly for about 30 seconds or until they're golden brown. Add in the coriander, cumin, chili powder and turmeric and stir to combine.
- Add the cauliflower and stir to coat with the spice mixture, then sauté the florets for about 5 minutes. You can add a tablespoon or two of water if the spice mixture sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the cauliflower, allowing it to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add orange and red bell peppers, cover, and cook for about 2 more minutes or until they begin to soften. Then add in the tomatoes, cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and cook the mixture until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cilantro and stir to combine, then plate the meal, serve and enjoy!
Related on MNN: