This recipe is filled with flavor but that's not the only wonderful part. It is also fast and easy to create. Just toss a few ingredients in the pan, stir it for a minute and wham! You have a meal. This recipe is perfect for making a quick hot lunch or a side dish for a dinner. There's also plenty of room to customize the spices, giving it more or less heat depending on your preference.
This recipe is adapted from "At Home with Madhur Jaffrey."
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Spicy Mushroom Stir-Fry
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 pound cremini or plain white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove clove garlic, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the mustard seeds and heat them for just a few seconds until they start to pop. Then add in the fennel seeds and basil. Stir for about 30 seconds, and add in the mushrooms and garlic. Continue to stir, cooking the mixture for a few more minutes until mushrooms begin to lose their liquid.
- Add in the salt, cayenne pepper and the lime juice, and stir for another minute or so. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your preference.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
Related recipes and more on MNN: