I think this recipe might have changed my life. Or at least my mornings. Simple and super healthy, this breakfast bake with its sweet and crunchy pecan topping makes you think you're indulging in dessert first thing in the morning. But really, you're starting off the day smart with a filling, nutritious meal. Delicious hot out of the oven or cold out of the fridge, you can bake up a batch on Sunday morning and have it for breakfast throughout the week. It's incredibly easy to make and oh-so-very yummy.
This recipe is inspired by Oh She Glows, with just a few alterations to bring down the sugar content and make it a touch more healthy. (In other words, if you're a sugar fiend, check out the original!)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup regular oats
- 2 cups unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 small sweet potato, scrubbed and diced (around 2 cups)
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (you could also substitute walnuts, if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp flour (I used a gluten-free flour blend)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium pot, bring a few cups of water to a boil. Add in the diced sweet potato and simmer over medium heat for a few minutes until they are soft. Pour into a colander to drain and set aside.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the oats, almond milk and chia seeds. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the oats soften. Turn off the heat.
- Add the sweet potato and sliced banana and mash them into the mixture with a fork. You can leave it as chunky as you'd like, or can really mash everything together to make it more smooth. It's up to your texture preferences. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and dash of salt to season the mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the pecans, flour, vegan margarine and brown sugar and stir with a fork until everything is evenly combined.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle the pecan crumble evenly over the top. Place in the center rack in the oven and bake uncovered for about 20-25 minutes or until the pecans are golden and toasted. Serve and enjoy!