Stuffing is a classic side for the holidays, but why should it be relegated to only one season of the year? This fantastic and flavorful stuffing is inspired by VegKitchen. No matter if it's summer, fall or winter, you can find a bowl of comfort in this delicious dish. This great recipe features the perfect pairing of savory walnuts and sweet crisp apples that provide both texture and that ideal flavor. Add to that the herby goodness of sage and thyme, and it's a stuffing everyone will appreciate!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yields: 6-8 servings
Walnut-Apple Stuffing: Vegan Recipe
- 6 cups firmly packed diced whole-grain vegan bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 5-6 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced, to taste
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. On a large baking sheet, spread the diced bread out in a single layer and bake 10 to 12 minutes until dry and lightly toasted. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and sauté the red onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the diced apple and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, the onion and apple mixture, and all the remaining ingredients except the apple juice. Toss to combine. Slowly pour in the apple juice while stirring to evenly moisten the mixture. Transfer the mixture to an oiled shallow baking pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, stirring once in the middle of the baking time. When the stuffing is golden brown but still moist, it's ready!